English Language Requirements
In order to be admitted to a program at the Sydney Institute of Higher Education, international student applicants should meet the English language requirements of the program.
International students whose first language is not English are required to provide evidence of satisfying SIHE’s English language requirement.
Applicants can demonstrate their English proficiency through one of three (3) pathways:
- Prior education or study in English,
- Proof of English language ability through English language test results, or
- Completion of English language courses.
1. Prior education or study in English
Applicants will meet the English language entry requirements if they provide evidence of completing any one of the following:
- Year 11 and 12 at an Australian Secondary School / Registered Training Organisation, or,
- International Baccalaureate Diploma (IB) in English, or,
- A course of study with an Australian higher education provider. A course of study is a course or program that is formally approved or accredited that leads to the award of a qualification, or,
- A Foundation Program at an Australian university, or,
- Undertaken formal secondary or tertiary study in English in an overseas institution listed in the Australian Government Country Education Profiles at a level equivalent to the standard outlined in points a, b and c above.
Prior education should have been completed no more than five (5) years prior to the application.
2. English Language Test Results
Applicants will meet the English language entry requirements if they provide evidence of completing one
of the following:
1. English language testing with scores that are equal to or higher than the score listed in the table
2. Proficiency testing with an ELICOS course provider listed in the Australian Government Country
Education Profiles where the test confirms English language proficiency equal to or higher than
the score listed in the table below.
The test should have been completed within the last four (4) years.
|Test||Undergraduate Courses||Postgraduate Courses|
|Academic IELTS||An overall minimum score of 6.0 with at least 5.5 in each component of the test||An overall score of 6.5 with at least 6.0 in each component|
Paper based test
|A score of 525 with a test of written English score of 4.0||A score of 565 with a test of written English score of 4.5|
Internet based test
|A score of 70 with a minimum 17 in writing, 12 in reading, speaking, listening||A score of 85, with a minimum of 19 in writing and at least 17 in reading, listening, speaking|
|An overall score of 169 with at least 162 in all other components|
|52 overall with all other components at the borderline level or higher|
|PTE Academic||An overall score of 50, with a minimum of 42 in all sections||An overall score of 58 with at least 50 in all other sections|
|C1 Advanced (formerly CAE)||169||176|
3. Completion of English Language Courses
Applicants will meet the English language entry requirements if they provide evidence of completing one of the following:
- An English language course at an institution listed in the Australian Government Country Education Profiles OR
- Completion of a NAATI accredited professional interpretation or professional translation course as an English translator.